UPCOMING EVENTS

Throwing down Sundays at noon at the portland art museum. See you there!

Email us at portlandyoyo@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Homemade String

Some friends of mine in Michigan inspired my to start making my own string. After sufficient urging I decided to take the plunge. I went down to Fabric Depot (there were a lot more men there than I expected to find on a Monday night) and bought a variety of thread. Next, I went to Home Depot and got myself an inexpensive drill. (Yes, I'm almost 30, married, and this is my first drill.) After several attempts I was able to create a string of adequate length, tension, and wound the right direction. A satisfying endeavor.
Now that I have achieved this higher state of yo-consciousness by making my own string, I feel I must implore if you have found any string formulas of merit that you would care to pass on. So far I have found in Denim an unexpected delight as it not only works quite well but also makes me feel like I should get a pair of stone washed jeans and listen to Bon Jovi.

4 comments:

sweet pancakes/nightkitchenzero said...

I like the denim idea. I want to try one of those bad boys. though i dont know about the bon jovi.
Colin and i had string making fever last year. He is really good at it and came up with a million combos. Nylon poly cotton combinations are fun to mess around with. One nylon strand with poly gives you a lot of bounce no matter how worn out the string, but bites almost as much as paul dang. All poly works like "real" strings. glow string is cool too. most of all, keep having fun with it. its a great way to add your own personal style and make yoyoing mean more to you. And of course as with all things yoyo its best just to ask colin.

Adam B. said...

I'll have to see if I can locate some glow thread. Thanks for the input.

Colin Leland said...

Adam,
I hope that you enjoy making string. It really does add another dimension to yoyo play, and you can spend hours coming up with new rig setups, twist methods, and thread mixtures. I am currently working on a mixture of overlock thread and high quality sewing thread. Justin got some really good thread at fred meyer (i think). The color combos and feel he came up with were killer. Scott can probably give you more pointers than I can, since he's been making string for many years now, and his mix of poly/cotton is awesome.

JoAnn fabrics has glow thread, strings will cost around a buck each, and I found that they don't play too well. There is a string maker out there that made some pretty good ones, so I can find out who that was.

You should post a pic of your string rig, and those denim strings. What thread did you use?

Adam B. said...

My string rig is nothing special; just a nail in the wall and an electric drill with a hook on the end. If we meet on Saturday and I can make it I'll be sure to bring the denim string I made. My wife says it looks very "autumny".